I think it was for my birthday.
It might have been my fifth birthday, in which case it was probably a bribe. An attempt by my parents to win back my affections after my outrage at the birth of my next youngest sibling... a brother... the day before!! (love ya Tee-bee )
Anyway.... That bike was my first NEW bike and I thought it was the most beautiful bike in the whole world. It was a shiny red Schwin... with solid rubber tires, sparkling chrome fenders and a snazzy "S" on the cherry red seat. I was in love.
"My" bike was eventually passed down to younger siblings (starting with the brother who stole my spot as the baby of the family!) and even my nieces rode that bike. But it finally made it's way back to me and I haven't let it go since.
The other day I was out in the barn and stumbled upon my beautiful little bike...laying forgotten under a bunch of junk. It's not as shiny any more (especially after a year in the barn!) and the fenders are spotted with rust... but there is still a snazzy "S" on the bright red seat and it still looks pretty good to me.
I pulled the bike out of the barn and just for fun I decided to bring it up to the house. The kids saw me walking across the little pasture with that dirty old bike and asked me what I was going to do with it... Without thinking (it only has 16" tires) I told them I was going to ride it, of course!
They both insisted I couldn't...
I was too big and the bike was too old. So I had no alternative but to prove them wrong. ~
...ahhh, true love never dies....
No comments:
Post a Comment