Oh... it's been a rough few weeks. M has been really struggling with a lot of symptoms lately. He's having what seems to be an "acute episode" of his schizophrenia and because he's home full time, the rest of us have had to cope with this episode as well.
The hallucinations have been very bad lately, and M has been struggling to understand that they aren't real (something he doesn't usually struggle with). He's been unpredictable and not able to keep himself safe... which means he has to be watched constantly. He's been edgy and unsettled and really difficult to manage lately... so we've been hibernating. He's not always stable enough to take places, and we had really scary episode in the car the other day that I don't want to repeat, so we've been sticking pretty close to home.
Easter started out rough, but ended up being a pretty good day... M doesn't sleep well the night before a holiday, and he was up at midnight (ready for his Easter basket!) then back to sleep until 4:00 (when he was REALLY ready for his Easter basket). I held him off until 6:30 then let him get R up and start the day. We woke up a snow storm and had to tell the kids that we might not be able to make it to Grandma and Grandpa's for dinner. M had a hard time with the uncertainty of the morning, and it really didn't feel at all like a holiday to me. Our big kids weren't able to get here (because of the snow) and we aren't able to go to church (because of Michael's instability) so for awhile it just seemed like a regular day (except the kids were eating chocolate for breakfast!). Thankfully the snow lightened up around lunchtime and we were able to make it to Grandma's after all. The kids both seemed to have a good time... M enjoyed all the food and R had a good time with her cousins.
Yesterday M had a good day, so I might try to get out today and buy hay. It's not an emergency, I still have hay left in the barn... but it's a fun 30 minute trip to the next town, and we always stop at Sonic for treats after the feed store. I think I might reorganize the barn this weekend too... It needs a good spring cleaning, and the best time to do that is BEFORE I fill the feed room up with more hay!
The kids started swimming with the Special Olympics swim team last week. R loves it, she's an absolute fish in the water. M got in the water last week but didn't participate much. I'm not sure I'll get him in the water this week. It's ok if he doesn't participate. R is getting a lot out of it which is good enough for me... although it would be so good for M to swim too.
I guess that's it... kind of a weird, rambling post.
No comments:
Post a Comment