Wednesday, June 9, 2010

beyond tired... (venting)

M went in for an endoscopy and flexible sigmoidoscopy today.

This was supposed to be the last of the GI tests and procedures.

It was supposed to confirm the ulcer the new GI doc was "95% sure" that M had down at the bottom of his stomach... the ulcer that he was sure was causing all M's GI problems.

Once the ulcer was confirmed, it could be easily treated and life would get back to normal.

The procedures were scheduled for 3:50 p.m., and M could have no solid food after midnight. We had dinner about 6:30 last night, so by the time he had the procedure it had been more that 21 hours since his last meal. M made it through the day on a diet of water, fruit juice and soda and coped, graciously, with the indignity of his mother giving him an enema...

I am SO very tired of medical procedures that I think the only thing that kept me going through all the pre-op requirements for today was the thought that this would be the last one... at least for a long time. (There were so many requirements, and they were so complicated, that I had to make myself a scheduled list for the day to make sure I didn't forget anything.)

But, I kept reminding myself, these procedures would confirm the diagnosis.

A diagnosis that is easily treatable.

Unfortunately, that's not what happened...

The GI doc came out after the procedure (M was still in recovery) and said that despite not eating any solid food for almost 24 hours, M's stomach was still SO full of food that the doc couldn't really get a veru good look at things... but it didn't appear as though there is an ulcer.

The doc wants to see the results from the upper GI M had done in April.

He also wants to talk to another GI doc he knows who might have some ideas.

And he wants to do another endoscopy soon... keeping M on a liquid diet for two days before the procedure. (Hoping that would give his stomach enough time to empty.)

He did say that not only can't M take the two "mainstay" meds for delayed gastric emptying (the current dx)... he can't even take the one (not approved in the U.S.) that would require a "compassionate use" approval... because combined with the psych meds M's already taking it could cause heart problems...  problems in addition to the tachycardia and blood pressure issues he already has... life threatening problems.

I like this GI doc... I really do. I think he's probably about the best in the area... but I'm feeling DONE with doctors right now.

The fact is that M is clearly NOT digesting his food. We're almost four months into this now, he's on his third GI doctor, and we still have no idea what's going on or how to fix it.

I'm sick to death of doctors, hospitals and medical procedures.

I'm ready to pull out my calendar and start cancelling appointments ...starting with the GI, psychiatrist, orthodontist, and gynecologist (for R) appointments next week.

If I could... I would.

No comments: