Monday, July 12, 2010

It's only vomit (venting)

TMI alert... the title should clue you in... yes, this post is about vomit.

"It's only vomit."

That's what I kept reminding myself this evening as I cleaned the bathroom. M's felt sick all afternoon, but it's been a couple of months since everything came back up the way it did this evening.

As I disinfected the floor, walls, tub, and toilet (and the soles of my shoes) I reminded myself that at least he's no longer throwing up multiple times a day...

At least he doesn't have to sleep with a throw up bucket on the bed because he doesn't have time to make it to the bathroom.

At least he's not throwing up blood the way he was just a few months ago.

At least he's not back in the hospital.

I finished cleaning and disinfecting the floor, walls, tub, and toilet, (and soles of my shoes), and M got out of the shower and went back to bed. I wanted to take a shower, but couldn't because I can't shower and watch M at the same time, so I changed clothes and washed... several times... finishing up with hand sanitizer.

Maybe I'll shower after M goes to sleep...

Yep, it's only vomit... kids throw up all the time.

But it's also a reminder that M's GI system still isn't working right. It's been five months since his hip surgery and not only haven't I found a physician who can "fix" the problem, I can't even find one who can figure out what's the matter!

M's not "sick" in the sense of having a stomach bug, or having eaten something that disagreed with him.

He sick in the sense of his stomach isn't emptying, and his intestines aren't moving the food through, and without the GI meds he takes each day he would be VERY ill, because nothing would move through the way it should.

The truth is, I'm sick too...

I'm sick of gastroenterologists who drop out of sight when they don't know what to do.

I'm sick of psychiatrists who aren't available...

... and psychiatrists who can't be bothered to release your child's mental health records... even when they know the child is struggling, and needs mental health care that they can no longer provide.

I'm sick of spending at least an hour or two every single day trying to work through the "system" we need to work through to ensure M gets the pathetically inadequate support available to him next month when he officially becomes an adult.

Sigh...well, it sounds like it's time to let this charming little post go... M's vomiting again.

No comments: