How about some pictures of one of the new fawns that are roaming the neighborhood these days?
I was in the dining room when I looked out the window and saw this mama and baby just on the other side of our back fence...
I had to grab the camera and run outside, of course.
The pictures were all taken from inside the back yard... mama was too nervous for me to try to get any closer.
Isn't the fawn beautiful?
He* was really checking me out...
*I have no way of really knowing if the fawn is a he or a she, of course. I'll call him a he, but won't know for sure until spring. If he starts to grow tiny little antler nubs about a year from now, he's a he... if he doesn't... well you can figure it out.
It wasn't long before I was making him just too nervous and he decided it was time to go. Look at his ears though... he may have turned away from me, but he still has one ear locked in on where I am. Any sudden movement on my part would have sent him flying.
His other ear was focused on mama...
Ok... he's had enough... off he goes.
Mama watched for a few seconds, as he bounded away through the long grass...
Look at the bemused (resigned?) expression on her face...
It makes me think of all the times I've chased my toddlers over the years, as they've tried to take off to parts unknown...
Like the time, R, as a 3 year old, decided to "go to work", and managed to open the back gate and leave without me seeing her... and I found her a few minutes later, confidently marching down the sidewalk (this was when we lived in the city), completely oblivious to me running behind as fast as I could... trying to catch her before she marched herself right into the street!
I guess some mothering experiences are universal...
After a few seconds mama seemed to decide she'd better follow him.
And down into the gully they go...
They were back again this evening... The fawn wasn't able to jump over the cattle panel "gate" between the front and back pastures, so he apparently tried to go through it instead. There was a lot of crying (fawn crying is surprisingly loud and sounds a little like a cross between a yowling cat and a goat bleating), but luckily he seemed no worse for the wear...
I guess I can say the same thing about M. We've taken a half dozen steps backwards lately both in terms of his GI problems and his stability, but he's managing. I've had to limit his diet a bit more, but he's stopped vomiting, his GI system seems to be working (I'll spare you the details) and the constant stomach aches seem to be gone again.
Unfortunately, there is no "fix" to the instability piece, except just wait it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment