Friday, October 29, 2010

therapeutic gardening

I've started a couple of blog posts this week, but it seems like each time I sit down and start writing, I'm pulled away by something. By the time I have a few more quiet minutes, I'm no longer in the mood to finish the post I'd previously started... So I don't.

And no posts get written.

M had an awful day yesterday...  He's been not-so-stable for awhile, and it all just boiled over yesterday. Needless to say we didn't get any school done, but I did get a lot done outside.

M's episodes just wipe me out, but not in an "I'm tired going to bed" sort of way... even if I could just go to bed after one of his episodes, which I can't, of course, because then who would take care of M?

No they wipe me out in a mental sort of way... my body has tons of energy (nothing like a little adrenaline to get a person moving!)... but my brain isn't much good for anything for awhile.

That is, of course, the perfect combination for gardening!

We had our first freeze a couple of weeks ago, so I took all my extra energy outside and cleaned the dead tomatoes, peppers, etc. out of the little kitchen garden.

In the process I discovered even more vole holes than I thought I had... This caused my (sub-clinical? ;)) OCD to kick in and I virtually destroyed my own garden, trying to flood, and then dig them out.


The garden and I were both a muddy mess by the end of that little chore, but I think I managed to destroy most of the vole "community" that had apparently been living under my garden.


I went out this morning and found a couple of holes I'd missed in yesterday's vole frenzy, but overall I'm satisfied with my work. While I worked in the little garden I got all the fruit trees well watered, and did a bit more clean up in the area that used to be Lili the chicken's home.  All that's left is a little pruning on the smoke tree, and that area is done.



Even after all the digging, flooding, and ripping up of plants out back, I still had too much energy to sit down, so the kids and I went out front and I raked... and raked... and raked. I'd cleaned out the big garden last week, so it was ready for it's winter covering of leaf mulch.


I didn't have nearly enough leaves (even after raking the driveway!) but the trees still have plenty of leaves, and there is no hurry to get it done...


M's been better today... still edgy, but connected. He even helped me this morning with some heavy work out at the barn. He wasn't happy about it, but he did it...

I also worked a bit with Tucker and Cubby this morning. It's funny... my little "wild man" Tucker doesn't seem quite so wild now that we have Cubby. Tucker never kicks or tries to bite... for Cubby those are everyday things!

I don't think Cubby (the darker donkey), would ever really hurt someone. If he was truly aggressive he's had plenty of opportunities to hurt someone... I think he's just in the habit of trying to throw his weight around.

He's a pretty donkey though, isn't he?

We won't keep Cubby permanently... I think Tucker enjoys having a friend, but R and I have both said we'll be ok with Cubby moving on. Having to be so careful around him makes the barn work a lot more complicated...

Well, I'd better get moving... (but I'm so proud, I actually finished a post!)

No comments: